Hypertension (high blood pressure) is often overlooked during diagnosis, treatment and routine physical exams in small animals. In addition, many hypotensive (low blood pressure) patients, such as those suffering from shock, benefit greatly from Doppler measurement of blood pressure when knowing the pressure can mean effective and timely treatment. Combining Doppler with an appropriate size “cuff” for small animals, provides the veterinarian with the same, noninvasive method for testing blood pressure as is available in human medicine. Limited 1-year warranty cuffs are excepted.
A small probe is placed over a peripheral artery (e.g., digital or coccygeal). An ultrasonic crystal in the probe transmits pulse wave sounds back to the amplifier. The pressure cuff is then placed proximal to the probe. The cuff is inflated until the pulse sounds are no longer audible. The cuff is slowly deflated, using the manometer, until pulse sounds are audible once more, at which point the manometer displays a numeric value of the animal’s systolic pressure.
- Noninvasive blood pressure monitoring system
- Lightweight, handheld unit
- High-quality, veterinary-specific sphygmomanometer
- Comes with 2 cuffs (2.5 cm and 5.0 cm)
- Runs on 9 V battery (included)
- Headset included
- Complete with carrying case
- Limited 1-year warranty on box and transducer only