Exploring 4 Cutting-Edge Products in Feline Healthcare
A guest blog by Elanco Animal Health
Veterinarians are constantly seeking innovative solutions to provide the best possible care for feline patients. The field of feline medicine has seen remarkable advancements in recent years, and one company that stands at the forefront of this progress is Elanco Animal Health. In this blog, we will delve into the Elanco pet health feline portfolio and explore 4 recent, innovative brands that have already been launched. Let's dive in!
1. Bexacat™ (bexagliflozin tablets)
The first non-insulin, orally administered treatment for feline diabetesFeline diabetes mellitus (DM) is a common chronic illness that requires continuing, lifelong medical care and owner education to prevent complications and ensure good quality of life. Bexacat™ is a once-daily tablet alternative to insulin for treating feline diabetes. It lowers blood sugar by increasing urine excretion of glucose through inhibition of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) and results in effective glycemic control.
Less than half of cat owners comply with proper daily insulin treatment.1 Bexacat™ offers an easy-to-give, needle-free, single table solution for pet owners and is endorsed as the only Fear Free approach to treating feline diabetes. With over 5,000 clinics already using Bexacat™, this first-in-class feline diabetes treatment can help you care for more diabetic cats.
Click here to shop
2. Zorbium™ (buprenorphine transdermal solution)
Revolutionizing pain management for catsWhen it comes to pain management for our beloved cats, staying at the forefront of innovation is crucial. That's where Zorbium™ comes in. Developed by Elanco, Zorbium™ is a cutting-edge pain management solution that is revolutionizing the way we address post-operative pain in cats. One in-clinic dose of Zorbium™ provides four days of continuous post-op pain control for at-home comfort. Pre-dosed tubes for smaller and larger cats simplifies recordkeeping and disposal of controlled substances, while delivering 4 days of reliable pain relief from a single, in-clinic dose.
With Zorbium™, veterinarians can confidently provide a high standard of care and help ensure the best possible outcomes for our furry friends.
Important safety information: Before using ZORBIUM (buprenorphine transdermal solution), read the entire package insert including the Boxed Human Warning. Call 1-888-545-5973 for full prescribing information.
Click here to shop
3. Credelio® CAT (lotilaner)
A breakthrough in feline flea and tick protection
Flea and tick control is a significant concern for feline healthcare, and Elanco's Credelio® Cat is a groundbreaking solution to address this issue. Credelio® Cat is an oral medication that provides fast-acting and long-lasting protection against fleas and ticks. With a single monthly dose, Credelio® Cat not only treats existing infestations, but also prevents new infestations from occurring. Its palatable formulation ensures easy administration, making it a preferred choice for both veterinarians and pet owners.
Click here to shop
4. Elura® (capromorelin oral solution) & Varenzin™-CA1 (molidustat oral suspension)
Advancing feline chronic kidney disease managementChronic Kidney Disease (CKD) occurs in about 15-30% of feline patients over 12 years old2, and now Elanco offers multiple products to help you manage this condition in your feline patients.
Elura® is a first-in-class medication to help cats with CKD maintain or gain weight with a unique mode of action that combines increased food intake and positive metabolic changes to deliver clinical results. Cats with CKD-associated anemia deserve a treatment that helps them feel more like their feline selves.
Varenzin™-CA1, developed exclusively for cats, offers an easy-to-administer oral option that safely treats non-regenerative anemia in cats with chronic kidney disease. A first of its kind in veterinary medicine, Varenzin™-CA1 stimulates a cat's body to create its own erythropoietin (EPO).
Click here to shop Elura® | Click here to shop Varenzin™-CA1
Elanco's commitment to feline healthBeyond these recent innovations, Elanco Animal Health is dedicated to the overall well-being of feline patients. Their comprehensive feline portfolio includes a range of products designed to address various health concerns, such as dermatology, gastrointestinal disorders, and behavioral issues. With a focus on safety, efficacy, and convenience, Elanco's feline medicines empower veterinarians to provide the highest standard of care for their feline patients.
The Elanco pet health feline portfolio is a testament to the company's commitment to advancing feline medicine. Through groundbreaking innovations such as Bexacat™, Zorbium™, Credelio® CAT, Varenzin™-CA1, and Elura®, Elanco is revolutionizing pain management, diabetes, kidney disease management, flea and tick control, and parasite control for cats.
With their dedication to feline health and comprehensive range of products, Elanco Animal Health is a trusted partner for veterinarians striving to provide the best possible care for their feline patients. Together, we can shape a brighter future for feline medicine.
- Bexacat is indicated to improve glycemic control in otherwise healthy cats with diabetes mellitus not previously treated with insulin.
BEXACAT IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Before using Bexacat, you must read the entire package insert, including the boxed warning. Call 1-888-545-5973 or visit https://www.elancolabels.com/us/bexacat for complete safety information.
- Cats treated with Bexacat may be at an increased risk of diabetic ketoacidosis or euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis, both of which may result in death. Development of these conditions should be treated promptly, including insulin administration and discontinuation of Bexacat. Do not use Bexacat in cats with diabetes mellitus who have previously been treated with insulin, who are receiving insulin, or in cats with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The use of Bexacat in cats with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, or the withdrawal of insulin and initiation of Bexacat, is associated with an increased risk of diabetic ketoacidosis or euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis and death. Sudden onset of hyporexia/anorexia, lethargy, dehydration, diarrhea that is unresponsive to conventional therapy, or weight loss in cats receiving Bexacat should prompt immediate discontinuation of Bexacat and assessment for diabetic ketoacidosis, regardless of blood glucose level. Bexacat should not be initiated in cats with pancreatitis, anorexia, dehydration, or lethargy at the time of diagnosis of diabetes mellitus, as it may indicate the presence of other concurrent disease and increase the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis. Due to risk of severe adverse reactions, do not use Bexacat in cats with evidence of hepatic disease or reduced renal function. Consult a physician in case of accidental ingestion by humans.
- Please see full product insert for additional product safety information.
- Zorbium is indicated for the control of postoperative pain associated with surgical procedures in cats.
ZORBIUM IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Before using ZORBIUM (buprenorphine transdermal solution), read the entire package insert including the Boxed Human Warning. Call 1-888-545-5973 for full prescribing information.
- ZORBIUM contains buprenorphine, an opioid that exposes humans to risks of misuse, abuse, and addiction, which can lead to overdose and death. Use of buprenorphine may lead to physical dependence. The risk of abuse by humans should be considered when storing, administering, and disposing of ZORBIUM. Serious, life-threatening, or fatal respiratory depression may occur with accidental exposure to or with misuse or abuse of ZORBIUM. ZORBIUM should only be administered by veterinarians or veterinarian technicians who are trained in the handling of potent opioids. Accidental exposure to even one tube of ZORBIUM, especially in children, can result in a fatal overdose. ZORBIUM is for topical application in cats only. Following application to the cat, allow a minimum drying time of 30 minutes before direct contact with the application site. Do not administer to cats with a known hypersensitivity to buprenorphine hydrochloride, any inactive ingredients of ZORBIUM, or known intolerance to opioids. Most common adverse reactions during anesthesia were hypothermia, hypotension, and hypertension, and after anesthetic recovery were hypothermia, hyperthermia, and sedation. The safe use of ZORBIUM has not been evaluated in debilitated cats, those with renal, hepatic, cardiac or respiratory disease, pregnant lactating, breeding, in cats younger than four months old or 16.5 lbs.
- Please see full product insert for additional product safety information.
CREDELIO CAT INDICATION
- Credelio CAT kills adult fleas and is indicated for the treatment and prevention of flea infestations (Ctenocephalides felis) for one month in cats and kittens 8 weeks of age and older and weighing 2.0 pounds or greater.
- Credelio CAT is also indicated for treatment and control of Ixodes scapularis (black-legged tick) infestations for one month in cats and kittens 6 months of age and older and weighing 2.0 pounds or greater.
CREDELIO CAT IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Lotilaner is a member of the isoxazoline class. This class has been associated with neurologic adverse reactions including tremors, ataxia and seizures. Neurologic adverse reactions have been reported in cats receiving isoxazoline class drugs, even in cats without a history of neurologic disorders. Use with caution in cats with a history of neurologic disorders. The safety of Credelio CAT has not been established in breeding, pregnant and lactating cats. The effectiveness of Credelio CAT against Ixodes scapularis in kittens less than 6 months of age has not been evaluated. The most frequently reported adverse reactions are weight loss, tachypnea and vomiting.
- For full prescribing information see Credelio CAT label.
- Elura is indicated for the management of weight loss in cats with chronic kidney disease.
ELURA IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- For oral use in cats only. Do not use in cats that have a hypersensitivity to capromorelin, or in cats with hypersomatotropism (acromegaly). ELURA may increase serum glucose for several hours after dosing; use in cats with current or historical diabetes mellitus has not been evaluated and may not be appropriate. Use with caution in cats that may have cardiac disease, severe dehydration, or hepatic dysfunction. ELURA has not been evaluated in cats younger than 5 months of age, or in breeding, pregnant or lactating cats. The most common adverse reactions included vomiting, hypersalivation, inappetence, behavior change and lethargy.
- See product label for full prescribing information.
- Varenzin-CA1 is indicated for the control of non-regenerative anemia associated with chronic kidney disease (CKD) in cats.
VARENZIN-CA1 IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- For oral use in cats only. Keep this drug, including used syringes, out of reach of children. Wash hands immediately after use. In case of accidental ingestion, seek medical advice immediately. Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant should administer the product with caution. Varenzin-CA1 should not be administered to cats that are pregnant, lactating or intended for breeding or to cats with known hypersensitivity to molidustat. Use with caution in cats with a history of seizures and in cats predisposed to thromboembolic disease. Hematocrit (HCT) or packed cell volume (PCV) levels should be monitored regularly as polycythemia may result from use of Varenzin-CA1. Varenzin-CA1 has not been evaluated in cats less than 1 year of age. The most common adverse reactions included vomiting, increases in systolic blood pressure and mild transient increase in serum potassium.
- For full prescribing information see Varenzin-CA1 label.
Elanco Animal Health. Data on file.
Chalhoub S, Langston C, Eatroff A. Anemia of renal disease: what it is, what to do and what's new. J Feline Med Surg. 2011 Sep;13(9):629-40.-> Chalhoub S Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2011 629 (v1.0)
© 2023 Elanco or its affiliates.
Bexacat, Credelio, Zorbium, Varenzin, Elura, Elanco and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks of Elanco or its affiliates.